My dear friend Cyanna, who lives in sunny Florida, said that i was probably the only dog she knows who is happy to be homeless... And she is right!
In 12 days, my family and I will be leaving this house we lived in for the past 6 years - a house that my parents built themselves - and go on a road trip. This journey will take us around North America and, if i'm lucky enough to be still alive in a couple of years, around Europe too, and maybe parts of South America and, who knows, Asia. Anyway, the point is, i'll be homeless for the years to come.
Am i sad? No. See, as a dog, i don't leave many things behind me. I won't miss my neighbor's cat, i'll have my tennis ball with me, i'll get to see lots of new places, smell new things and meet new people. What could be better? And i'll be with my parents, all the time. What more a dog could ask for?
I know that, sometimes, life will be a little difficult for me. I won't be able to walk along with mum and dad if they decide to hike in the wilderness, but i'll be able to see most of the beauties our planet as to offer. I know that, in some parts of the south, i will have to take good care of myself, as weather conditions can be dangerous for me. A heat wave can be fatal for a dog like me. I'll have to watch out for ticks, snakes, wolves, bears, porcupines, ... and humans too, as some of them might want to harm me or worst, try to steal me. But me parents are well aware of this and they won't let anything happen to me.
For those of you interested by the details...
- microchip is not mandatory to travel in North America but my parents decided that i should wear one.
- the only shot i need is for rabies, plus protection against ticks (Lyme disease). Remember that rabies shot has to be done 1 month prior to travel.
- the leash i'll use for walks has to be 6 feet long or less, because in many cities, dogs like me - a.k.a. dangerous breeds - have to be on short leash.
- insurance, insurance, insurance! Better be safe than sorry...
- yes, i will wear a harness in the RV. Because of my weight, i could become a flying bomb and crush the windshield... we don't want that to happen, right?
What else? Oh, my parents said that i will have to work on the road. I'll be their official alarm system and personnal bodyguard. I'll also work as a "spokesdog", which is kind of cool!
Our first stop will be Gaspésie and New Brunswick, to visit dad's family and participate in the Annual Lobster Festival in Shediac. We'll come back here because mum's godson is getting married in July and then, the great adventure will officially begin!!
But before that, we have to finish packing our stuff. Well, actually, i have to help mum... What would she do without me? Hey, don't forget my Kong!!
I really hope you will all follow my adventures on the road. I promise you, it will be pawsome!